Victoria Falls in Zambia and Zimbabwe is one of the most spectacular places to visit not only in all of Africa but on earth. The breathtakingly beautiful waterfall is one of the seven natural wonders, which is known as “the Smoke that Thunders” aka Mosi-oa-Tunya in local languages.
If you haven’t felt the spray from the mighty Victoria Falls yet, make sure to coincide your visit in July, when the legendary Victoria Falls Marathon takes place every year. It’s a truly unique marathon offering an extraordinary race through the African bush among wild animals, giving the runners the chance to cross over the Victoria Falls Bridge. This event is said to be one of the most thrilling races on the continent and growing into the number one must-do activity in Victoria Falls, the adventure capital of Africa.
Victoria Falls has a wealth of adventure activities available ranging from white water rafting, canoeing, bungee jumping, to scenic flights. A visit to Victoria Falls will certainly make your trip worth your while, yet let us reiterate why you should put Victoria Falls Marathon on your bucket list!
Table of Contents
- Why to participate in the Victoria Falls Marathon
- Victoria Falls Marathon 2024 Race Info
- Victoria Falls Marathon 2024 MAHO on Earth Travel Package
Why to participate in the Victoria Falls Marathon
- The race route passes through a National Park and World Heritage site and crosses over the Victoria Falls Bridge between Zambia and Zimbabwe – what else could you ask for?!
- You will enjoy great scenery while running alongside the mighty Zambezi River, Victoria Falls, and game viewing in the Zambezi National Park
- A full 42.195km marathon, 21.0975km half marathon, 21km half marathon relay (two runners combining 10.5km each) and an approximately 7km fun run are all available
- Non-runners are also catered for (see below for details)
- The event supports various organizations, such as Painted Dog Conservation, Rose of Charity in Victoria Falls, Victoria Falls Green Fund, and the Victoria Falls Anti Poaching Unit
- The Victoria Falls Marathon attracts runners from over 24 countries around the world growing into a large ‘must do’ event in Africa, operated by a team of experienced logistics personnel to IAAF standards
- Last but not least: One of the most scenic places on the continent to RUN!
Victoria Falls Marathon 2024 Race Info
The next Victoria Falls Marathon will be taking place on Sunday 7 July 2024, in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe.
The race starts in the town of Victoria Falls and then crosses briefly into Zambia over the Victoria Falls Bridge, offering social runners some of the most spectacular views in Africa. The route continues through wildlife areas along the Zambezi Drive.
The marathon offers both local and international runners a platform where they can compete against the best! The marathon route is diverse in terms of terrain, with incredible views and the opportunity to spot wildlife along the way. It is well supported with regular water points, all well managed by sponsors.
Victoria Falls Marathon 2024 Participant Categories
- OPEN – Full Marathon (42.195 km) 20 yrs and older, male and female
- OPEN – Half Marathon (21.0975 km) 18 yrs and older, male and female
- HALF MARATHON RELAY* to be confirmed – approximately 10.5km per participant = total distance 21.0975km.
- FUN RUN – No official results will be produced, ages 10 years and upwards if unaccompanied by an adult. Any age with adult supervision.
- SPECIALLY ABLED (wheelchair/hand-cycle/tricycle) may enter with the ‘Half Marathon’ category – however due to safety reasons for all athletes, the route will be approximately 18km and will NOT go on to the Vic Falls Bridge. It will be timed and results produced.
Victoria Falls Marathon 2024 Race Day Start Times
- Full Marathon: 06h30
- Specially Abled Race: 06h50
- Half Marathon & Relay: 07h00
- Fun Run: 08h00
- All distances will start from the same place
- FINAL CUT OFF TIME – for all distances will be 12h30.
Victoria Falls Marathon 2024 MAHO on Earth Travel Package
MAHO on Earth is pioneering to promote a unique sports event internationally and is an official travel partner for the Victoria Falls Marathon, one of the best marathons on the African Continent (see our Kilimanjaro Marathon package, too).
We have already put together a 3-night/4-day race package in Victoria Falls. For individual requests, please get in touch with us!
Your exclusive extras:
- Delivery of your race number and shirt to your hotel – no standing in long queues at race registration.
- Shuttle transfer to starting line / transfer back to your hotel post race
- Access to the official post- race sunset cruise on the Zambezi River
- Services of a race travel and activities coordinator in the Falls
Victoria Falls Marathon 2024 Travel Package Itinerary (July 05-08, 2024)
Day 1 – Friday 05 July 2024
You will be transferred from Victoria Falls Airport to your hotel. Shared, one way transfer.
Approximate driving time: 25 minutes
Accommodation at Bayete Collection in a classic suite on a bed and breakfast basis for 3 nights.
Day 2 – Saturday 06 July 2024
As a pre-booked guest the day is yours at leisure because your race kit will be delivered to your hotel. But feel free to pop down to registration at Kingdom Hotel if you need anything from our Marathon team.
Join us for an official 2 hour recce of the marathon route. Pick up from Kingdom Hotel entrance at 14h00. We will drive along the route so you can familiarize yourself with what to expect on your 21 or 42km run.
Treat yourself to a drink in one of the local pubs in company of various wild animals right at a waterhole (drinks at your own expense).
Day 3 – Sunday 07 July 2024 – RACE DAY
You will be transferred from your hotel to the starting point of the marathon. Shared, one way transfer.
Please note: Most hotels in Victoria Falls are 5-10 minutes’ drive from the start, but this shuttle bus service will stop at various hotels en-route to pick up runners.
Victoria Falls Marathon / Half Marathon
The full marathon (42.2 km) and the half marathon (21.1 km) will lead you through the town of Victoria Falls, over the border into Zambia and, as you cross the bridge, you will see the full majesty of the Falls and the gorges below. The route returns to Zimbabwe and continues through the outskirts of town
and along the Zambezi River. There is a chance of seeing wildlife and National Parks staff will be monitoring the route to ensure safety. The finish for both races will be at the Community School along the Kazangula Road. Regular water points are provided.
The Fun Run
The 7.5km Fun Run follows a different route – from the same start, it heads downhill, turning left on Zambezi Drive, passing the big tree and some lovely scenery along the river. You may even be lucky to see some wildlife! From there the route heads back up to the finish at the school on the Kazangula Road.
Post-race sunset cruise
After the race, you will be transferred from the marathon finish line back to your hotel. Shared, one way transfer. Most Victoria Falls Hotels are 5-10 minutes’ drive from the finish, and the shuttle bus will stop off at several hotels to drop off runners.
Later in the afternoon (from 15:30), you will be collected from your hotel and transferred to the pier for the official post-race Sunset Cruise. As this is a shuttle pick up there may be a small delay as it goes from hotel to hotel.
The Zambezi Explorer is considered the premiere boat on the river to enjoy a river cruise from. You are taken downstream toward Palm Island and the Falls before turning around and heading back upstream. View hippo and crocodile as well as an abundance of birdlife, while watching the sun set. Selected local drinks and snacks included.
Day 4 – Monday 08 July 2024
You will be transferred from your hotel to Victoria Falls Airport.
Victoria Falls Marathon 2024 Package Inclusions and exclusions
- Shared Airport return transfers
- 3 nights at Bayete Guest Lodge (or similar) including breakfast daily
- Marathon entry fee to your chosen distance
- Delivery of your race number and shirt to your hotel
- Pre-race route recce
- Shared return transfers on race day
- Official post-race sunset cruise with local beverages, snacks and park fees included
- Shared return transfers between your Victoria Falls Town hotel and the cruise jetty
- International flights and airport taxes
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Meals not stated
- Visa fees
- Health requirements/vaccinations (if any)
- Gratuities and any items of a personal nature
- Any other services not specified above
Booking and Payment Terms
- Marathon package cost: EUR 989.00 per person sharing a twin/double room (Single Supplement: EUR 349 per person)
- This trip is an event package, and a non-refundable deposit of 500,- EUR / $550,- USD is required upon receiving your confirmation invoice. The final payment is due until May 1, 2024.
- For bookings after May 1, 2024, the full amount is immediately due (subject to availability).
- Any cancellations beyond May 1, 2024, the full amount of package cost is non-refundable.
- Please read our general T&C (in EN) or AGBs (in DE). (Note: our general payment & cancellation terms in sections D.8 and G do no apply to this event package).
- Please follow the BOOK NOW link to secure your spot.
Extend your stay
Our standard marathon weekend package is designed to include everything you need on your race weekend – with all the exclusive official Victoria Falls Marathon package extras thrown in of course. While we’ve included 3 nights, we can of course add on additional nights so you can make a longer stay and take time to enjoy the Victoria Falls and everything on offer here.
Even better, while you are here, why not make the most of your time and add on a safari package to Botswana from 3790,- EUR including your marathon weekend? We can tailor any package you fancy, so chat with us and let us know just what you have in mind.
After all, where else in the world do you have the elephants on the race route, and a post-race party on the banks on the Zambezi River?