Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest peak on the African continent towering at 5 895 meters and the highest free standing mountain in the world, needs presumably no introduction. Tackling ‘Kili’ is undoubtedly a bucket list item for many outdoor enthusiasts from all over the world. So far, so good…but have you ever heard of Kilimanjaro Marathon? How about experiencing the thrill of running beneath Kilimanjaro’s watchful eyes?
- Kilimanjaro Marathon Race Info
- Kilimanjaro Marathon 2025 Travel Package
Kilimanjaro Marathon Race Info
Kilimanjaro Marathon is an annual event in the town of Moshi, Tanzania, East Africa that takes place in the month of February. This iconic marathon on the foothills of Africa’s roof, Mount Kilimanjaro, will be held on 25 February 2024 and offers a 42.2km full marathon, a 21.1km half marathon and a 5km Fun Run.
*2025 race date will be confirmed in summer 2024, but it’s anticipated to take place on February 23, 2025.
This excellent race has the official backing of the Tanzania Tourist Board, the Tanzania Amateur Athletics Association, the IAAF, and is registered with AIMS. The route runs at an altitude between 830 and 1150m above sea level on good tarred roads with local crowd cheering and refreshment points along the way.
Requirements to participate to Kilimanjaro Marathon, Half Marathon, or 5K Run
- Full 42km Marathon 21 yrs and older, male and female – Marathon start time: 6:30 a.m
- Half 21km Marathon 18 yrs and older male and female – Half marathon start time: 7:00 a.m
- 5km FUN RUN – No official results will be produced, ages 10 years and older if unaccompanied by an adult. No age limit under adult supervision. 5 km fun run start time: 7:30 a.m
Kilimanjaro Marathon Route
The course takes you through stunning landscapes, many small farms, villages, parts of town, banana and coffee plantations and patches of forest.
For the 2023 Kilimanjaro International Marathon, the uphill section was done first to profit from cooler morning hours and fresh legs. The altitude gain is manageable, it’s a gradual climb and a fast descent after at about 10KM where you head back down the same route. The route is similar to the half marathon, until approximately 19km mark, where the full marathon breaks away and does a loop down through Moshi town. The entire race held between 830m and 1150m altitude on good, tarred roads for the most part.
A total of 12 water stations will be available along the route and there is usually a large crowd of cheerers.
The Fun Run
The 5KM Fun Run takes place through the shady streets of Moshi. The start is from the stadium, but the route differs to the full and half marathons.
The race will be over by 12:30 latest (cut off time for full/half marathon runners) but this event is more than a race, it’s a festival with around 11,000 participants in total. As the cut-off for the marathon is a generous 6 hours (5.5 hours for half), there will be ample time to enjoy the atmosphere, and maybe a celebratory beer or two after receiving your finisher’s medal.
Kilimanjaro Marathon 2025 Travel Package
If there is something special somewhere, MAHO on Earth is there! Join us for THE event in East Africa where you can feel the slipstream of African elite athletes!
We have put together a 3-nights/4-day marathon package, but it’s possible to add on a safari, beach holiday extension, Mount Meru or Kilimanjaro climb. Just chat with us!
Kilimanjaro Marathon 2025 Travel Package Itinerary (Feb 21-24 2025)*
*2025 race date will be confirmed in summer 2024. We will update the dates accordingly as soon as we receive the official confirmation.
Day 1 – Airport Transfer to Moshi
You’ll be picked up from Arusha (ARK/JRO) or Kilimanjaro International Airport (KIA) and transferred to the town of Moshi, where your fantastic African race adventure starts. Moshi is situated on the foothills of Mount Kilimanjaro, and the views of the mighty ‘Kili’ on a clear day are simply stunning.
Depending on your arrival time, we might have time for a bit of sightseeing to explore this colorful, bustling town filled with coffee houses and a lively buzz, or you may want to relax by the pool, enjoy a cocktail at the bar and get to know your fellow travelers before we meet for a welcome dinner.
Note: Should you wish to arrive earlier and extend your stay, please get in touch with us.
Day 2- Moshi – Acclimatization / Chemka Hot Springs
Today is dedicated to relaxation and preparation for the Kilimanjaro Marathon at your leisure. Relax by poolside or head into Moshi to grab some souvenirs, or join us for a swim in the green Oasis of Chemka Hot Springs.
After a leisurely breakfast, with those who prefer, we’ll spend a relaxing day in Chemka Hot Springs surrounded by a beautiful forest. It’s about a +- 1.5 hours drive from Moshi, where the last 30 minutes or so is along winding dirt roads past local villages lined with baobab and sugarcane trees.
Contrary to its name, the Chemka Hot Spring is not warm, as it’s sourced by the fresh water straight from Mount Kilimanjaro. In some places, the pond can be up to 10 meters deep, but the water is so clear you can see right to the bottom. Little fish enjoy nibbling the dead skin off your feet –bonus spa treatment included! Once done with swimming and playing Tarzan and Jane, swinging on the rope before plunging into the waters below, we’ll enjoy local lunch and head back to our hotel in Moshi in the late afternoon. We’ll drive along the marathon route and collect the race numbers for runners.
Many places in town serve carb-loading dinner to fuel up along with usual dishes, and we’ll reserve a table for our group. After dinner, we will return to our rooms to have a good night’s rest before the big day tomorrow.
Day 3 – Race day
The race day to the action under the watchful eyes of Mount Kilimanjaro! Following a quick pre-dawn breakfast, we depart for the start of the Kili Marathon! Good luck with the race!
With local bands playing, huge crowds of local cheerers, plenty of food and drink stalls, there is no end to partying in town today. The rest of the day is free at your leisure to relax by the pool until we get together for dinner to celebrate an unforgettable race day.
Day 4 – End of the itinerary
If you are departing today, you will be transfer to the airport.
Kilimanjaro Marathon Package Inclusions and exclusions
- Return airport – hotel transfers from Kilimanjaro Airport
- 3 nights accommodation (3 or 4* mid-range establishment) including breakfast in Moshi
- Marathon entry fee & guaranteed bib number
- 3x breakfast, 1x lunch, 2x dinner
- Return transfers to/ from stadium on race day
- Services of English-speaking travel coordinator at race and over weekend
- Chemka Hot Springs tour with the marathon route-recce
- Race registration and picking up bib number
- Flights and airport taxes
- Visa fees
- Health requirements including Yellow Fever inoculation if required
- Drinks and meals not specified above
- All items of a personal nature including tips
- Any services not mentioned in included
Booking and Payment Terms
- Marathon package cost: EUR 1089,- per person sharing a twin/double room (Single Supplement: EUR 279,- per person, single airport transfer surcharge 40,- EUR).
- A non-refundable deposit of 600,- EUR / $650,- USD is immediately due upon receiving your confirmation invoice. The remaining balance must be paid by December 15, 2024.
- For bookings after December 15, 2024, the full amount is immediately due.
- Any cancellations beyond December 15, 2024, the full amount of package cost is non-refundable.
- Please read our general T&C (in EN) or AGBs (in DE). (Note: our general payment & cancellation terms in sections D.8 and G do no apply to this event package.)
- Please follow the BOOK NOW link to secure your spot.
Make the most of it and extend your stay!
Our standard marathon weekend package is designed to include everything you need on your race weekend. While we’ve included 3 nights, we can of course add on additional nights so you can make a longer stay and take time to enjoy everything on offer here.
Even better, while you are here, why not make the most of your time and add on a safari package, because it’s the calving migration season in Serengeti! Fancy an attempt to summit Kili, or Mount Meru before or after the race? How about a beach holiday? We can tailor any package, so chat to us and let us know just what you have in mind.
Oh before we forget, we’ll be joining this spectacle to fundraise for an NGO caring for children with cancer in Tanzania. What better way to motivate yourself to exercise regularly and get to know Tanzania’s enthusiasm for sports?
Chat to us now and secure your spot!
“When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better, too.” -Paulo Coelho
PS: Images taken from promotional sites. featured image credit: kathyloperevents.com